Happy New Year!
I took a pretty long hiatus from blogging during the holidays but am more than excited to jump back into creating content to share here.
2015 was a very interesting year for me all around. By far a lot better than 2014, complete with growing pains and fresh life experiences. I built a solid foundation for my career, turned 24 (could not stand 23 any longer!), traveled to Brazil, and quadrupled my friend group from when I first moved to San Francisco.
Now how do I look at 2016 here at the very beginning of the year? Well, I don’t really do resolutions. But I do really like lists…
Back when I was writing giraffes+garlic+glamour at the end of my senior year I was thinking a lot about what grad school would be like. How would it be when all my friends started their adult lives and I was still in school waiting (or afraid) to start mine? I honestly felt behind and wanted something to show for myself after another year on the collegiate couch.
So I started a bucket list. Not one of those lists where great white shark cage diving sits at the top (though it does actually top my life-long list) but one for the time before I graduated from grad school. It was a list of more achievable goals and things I wanted to push myself to do. But I never followed through on it. I sort of got off track on a lot of things in 2014. Which is something that has never really sat right with me.
Well, over a year after I was supposed to finish that first list, I’m ready to start another one. The last list felt like a “do or die” list, something I had to complete before my next chapter. But I really want this time around to be something I finish off while I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere. A to-do list I can enjoy doing without the rush of feeling competitive with myself.
So, here’s the list of things I want to accomplish before January 4th, 2017
- Go to New York City – I’ve never been before!
- Visit a new country – dreaming of Cuba…
- Take a cooking class with my roommate
- Become a regular volunteer at a local group in San Francisco
- Perfect my nana’s famous fudge recipe
- Teach myself something new
- Host a summer cocktail soirée – I recently discovered a love for entertaining…
- Hike to Colchuck Lake
- Hit every Bloody Mary destination in SF on this list
- Put my finance degree to work and invest
- Create a photo book of snaps from my Fujifilm Instax camera
- Apply for Survivor
- Organize a game of “The Fugitive” with my friends
- Finish all of the started books on my bookshelf
- Write the first ten chapters of the novel I started my senior year at Gonzaga
- Attend a wine and paint night
- Join a local intramural league
- Attend the Gilroy Garlic Festival
- Compile my own recipe book of bourbon cocktails
- Thrift shop for the apartment
- Cook a 3-course meal for my aunt and uncle
- Become a DIY expert of something homemade – like Emily Schuman & her pickled veggies
- Spend a day geocaching
- Build a portfolio of shots from all over the Bay Area
- Make a trip back to Gonzaga, my alma mater, in Spokane, Washington
You can follow along with my progress of the list this next year by clicking on the “The List” tab at the top of the page.
Image via Catch My Party